What 700x25 RoadTubeless tyre for my road bike?

21 Jul 2010

Continental Grand Prix 4000S review

I currently use a set of Continental GP4000S on my race bike.


I recently had a series of punctures to the same tyre. The first puncture happened when the tyre was mounted on the back.

At the 2k miles mark, I decided to swap front and rear.

Unfortunately, I got a puncture to the same tyre, now at the front. Fortunately this happened on a quiet bit of road.

Three punctures to the same tyre suggest something is not right. After 2k miles, the tread wear indicators didn't seem to indicate the tyre needed replacing:


but the cause of the repeat punctures was to be traced back to a hole in the centre of the tread:


Whatever caused the hole, was able to penetrate the tyre and vectran belt and puncture through to the inside casing:

I decided to replace the tyre with yet another GP4000S due to its performance, especially in the wet, up to that point.

I must admit though that these tyre are not the most comfortable when run at their recommended pressure.

I am therefore thinking of replacing them with a set of Vittoria Diamante Tech 220TPI when these need replacing.

For future reference, the tyre circumference when new is 2122mm.
That's the number you should tap into your bicycle computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment