What 700x25 RoadTubeless tyre for my road bike?

3 Nov 2011

A rigid fork to improve the ride (Kinesis Maxlight XLT review)

Back in May this year, I replaced my old suspension fork with a rigid fork, a Kinesis Maxlight XLT.


The improvements are outstanding!

The Ride
The ride quality of my hybrid has drastically improved since fitting the fork.
The front end of my bike is now so light, I have noticed improvements during climbs and changes of direction.

The feel for the road is much more vivid, vibrations are still dampened somewhat by the steel from which this fork is made, but it's all very lively.
It is not the most rigid of forks, so under load you can perceive a certain degree of flex. Nothing that would make the ride less safe, just comfortable.

I have now put about 1,000 miles on this fork and can recommend it to anyone thinking about switching.

I have recently ridden a hybrid with front suspension and would never dream of riding one again on tarmac!


Fitting
In the picture above you can see both forks side to side.
The old fork (left) didn't even work as intended anymore, being mostly semi-rigid and clunky. It also weighed nearly 3 Kg (8 lbs).
The new fork (right) weighs less than 1 Kg (2.2 lbs) and that's with a full length steerer, which I had to cut down.

Once fitted, my hybrid looks as if it was always meant to be fitted with one. The fork's paint scheme matches the frame's; the geometry is spot on, the Kinesis fork being suspension corrected.


To cut the steerer I used quality tools: a steerer tube cutting guide, secured to a vise. A quality 32 TPI bladed saw, and a curved file to remove any sharp edges left after the cut.

I reused all the existing components on the new fork: the headset and the crown race.

The original headset was still in excellent condition and there was no need to replace it. All the bike shops I asked would have charged me for a new headset, which I didn't need.

The crown race, which is the metal ring supporting the headset bottom bearings, was easily removed from the original fork.

Unfortunately, one thing I completely forgot to buy was a steerer crown race setter tool, to set the old crown race on the new fork.
It was not easy to let a very tight fitting and delicate ring of metal go straight on to the new fork. It required a very steady hand, and the use of a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to gently but securely knock it into place.

The one thing I needed to buy was a new star flange nut. Instead of a traditional nut, I decided to buy a reusable and easier to fit nut, a Hope Hed Doctor headset adjuster.


This nut allows itself to be unscrewed and reused. It is compatible with carbon, aluminium and steel steerer tubes.
One thing to remember when fitting it, is to read the instructions carefully and ensure that the nut body falls easily into the steerer before tightening.
Another thing to consider is that the job of the head nut is to simply pre-load the stem onto the headset in order to allow the stem to be tightely fitted at the correct height. It is the job of the stem to utlimately press it all together. You should be able to remove the head nut completely once the stem is fitted.
If you read any reports where people have stripped the head nut bolt or have concerns about its ability to stay tightly pressed, ignore them.

One last note: the Kinesis Maxlight XLT is compatible with v-brakes and disc brakes, but does not come pre-drilled for mudguards. This is probably a reflection of the intended audience of such fork.
I therefore installed a rubber cap in the bottom of the steerer tube, allowing my SKS mudguards to be secured to the fork:


10 comments:

  1. Chris asks:

    Hi there,

    This blog is very informative. I've been considering buying these forks to replace the suspension unit on my Saracen Mantra VX bike. The present suspension forks have a travel of 120mm and I'm a bit concerned about altering the geometry of the bike too much (most suspension corrected forks seem to cater for 80 to 100mm of travel). The wheel size is 26". Could you offer any suggestions as to what rigid fork might be suitable for me?

    Thanks,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I think you are correct, rigid forks such as this one are geometry corrected but only for between 60 and 100mm travel forks.
      What will happen if you replace your 120mm travel fork with this one, is that the resulting geometry of your bike will have the frame rotated forward a few degrees, making the seat tube angle and the head tube angle steeper.
      It will also lower the handlebars if you keep the same number of spacers and indeed will also lower the bottom bracket.
      Now, all of the above is actually quite desirable in a bike meant to be used on the road.
      So, if you are planning to switch to a rigid fork for off road use, to save on weight or to improve climbing ability, I would recommend looking for a lighter fork with remote lock out; but I think you know this already.
      If instead you intend to use your bike on the road, I think you'll find this change to steeper angles will improve the ride to some extent.

      P.S.
      I reposted your comment above as I didn't think you wanted to publish your email address; Blogger doesn't give me the opportunity to edit comments before publishing. I hope you don't mind.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your reply, Filippo. I have been using the bike for commuting, so am comforted by your observation that the change in geometry caused by a shorter fork might not necessarily be a bad thing!

      While looking for an alternative to the Kenesis I came across a website offering "Head Tube Extenders" - http://www.eighthinch.com/headtube_extenders.html. What do you think of these?

      I don't mind at all that you re-posted my comment. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. I briefly looked at the head tube extenders you mentioned.
      I can't really have an opinion as I haven't seen them in detail, but if I were you I would ask them very detailed questions such as what kind of tubing are they compatible with, diameters, headsets, bearing types etc.
      I think in your case they are not necessary and would save the money by not needing to disassemble too many parts (e.g. headset) when installing the new fork.

      Delete
  2. From Anonymous (this comment was deleted by accident)

    Filippo, great little blog! I googled this kinesis fork and you came up instantly.

    Have a question, hope you can help me:

    -----Can you measure inner width of this fork?-----

    I'm very interested in buying the fork but have a 26x2.3 road tires with doublewide rims. So I need aprox. 70mm wide fit my tires.

    Thank you in advance,

    RNM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the fork measures 3 inches wide in correspondence of the tyre.

      Delete
  3. Hi Filippo, thanks for the helpful blog. I'm looking at doing exactly as you have right now and have noted the issue with mudguards so was particularly pleased to see you've come up with a solution. I was wondering if your rubber plug was home made or shop bought and how it has worked out in real life. It seems although there's no bolt hole in the steerer they've got threaded holes at the end of the stays? thanks, Adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam,

      I bought the rubber plug in a DIY shop. To be honest, the solution although cheap and neat, didn't last that long. On my first few commuted in London the mudguard kept falling onto the front tyre. This is due to the rubber bung splitting and not gripping onto the metal eyelet.
      I could have just used a new plug but since fitting much bigger volume balloon tyres, I have adopted a different solution, not as elegant but so far much more resilient. I use three zip ties, one horizontally where the fork splits just under the head tube, and two inserted into the mudguards eyelet that hang onto the first zip tie.
      I have now run this solution for the past two years and it still working properly so it has withstood the test of time

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I'm writing from Colombia.

    I want to buy a rigid fork for my 27.5 mountain bike.
    Can you say me if I can use this fork or the wheel don't fit on it?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete