What 700x25 RoadTubeless tyre for my road bike?

24 Jun 2010

Excited about the new cycle hire scheme in London.

I think the cycle hire scheme is an exciting opportunity to see London from a different point of view, something known as 'bike speed'.



Yesterday I tried out a potential commute between Waterloo station and Moorgate between 8am and 8.30am. Then again between Moorgate and Paddington via Oxford St. and Marble Arch between 10 and 11.

I was thrilled by the experience.

Traffic was generally accomodating, I can see bendy buses being an issue for their length, but they can generally be approached safely.
I have also been left hooked by a taxi dropping someone off, and the event made some turists wonder if I would make it out alive.
But the sheer lack of wind, the flatness of the roads, and the general good quality of the surface, combined with mostly wide lanes, made my journey a pleasure.
Riding a 16 inch folder made the experience even more thrilling.

I am still smiling from ear to ear from being able, with my tiny 16" folding bike, to overtake pretty much everything and everyone on my way through the centre at peak time.

It also cuts down on transport cost and time: faster than the tube on most short journeys, cheaper than a bus ride.

And what a buzz is being able to cut through sections of stationary traffic and generally feeling "free" in a town that sometimes can feel rather cramped.

I am very excited at the opportunity to visit London in this new way: Marble Arch will never look the same to you again!

A very motivating video from the Mayor Boris Johnson:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/12449.aspx

1 comment:

  1. This morning I registered with the Barclays Cycle Hire scheme.
    Unfortunately I slept through the alarm I set for 6AM, and missed out on the opportunity of being one of the first 1,000 people to register and get a free t-shirt signed by the Mayor Boris Johnson.
    None the less, I am now a member and are entitled to hire a bicycle when the scheme is launched in August.

    ReplyDelete