What 700x25 RoadTubeless tyre for my road bike?

17 Oct 2010

Sportful winter cycling gear review

Sportful is an Italian make, and I have been purchasing their items ever since I found them to be the most comfortable and best value for money.


I have tried other brands, and have found alternatives to be suitable, but when I am in need of some new item and don't want to waste time browsing the catalogues, I just log on to Wiggle.co.uk, search for 'Sportful' and just buy whatever fits the bill.

I have purchased several items over the past couple of years and I could review them all, but since this is a blog and it is coming to Winter, I will review the most recent and most suitable items I recently purchased:
This is a combination I would recommend for looks and performance.

The Sportful Axiom windproof jersey is tight fitting, has a high neck, and uses thermodrytex at the back and Gore WindStopper fabric at the front.
It is very comfortable and although close fitting, you can still wear the 2nd Skin base layer underneath to bring extra warmth.

I wore the Axiom jersey today without any base layer, and was satisfied it was able to shield from the freezing wind (8C ambient temp. + windchill factor) and any sweat was quickly removed and the fabric would dry very quickly during a descent.

The zip comes with a flap at the back which stops cold air getting through to your chest.

I wore it together with the Vuelta 2 bib tights. The red Axiom jersey and red Vuelta 2 bib tights look like they complement each other really well:






The Axiom jersey is so nice and warm, I don't know whether the Axiom jacket, with its heavier weight WindStopper Pursuit+ fabric is really necessary for cycling in the UK.

The Vuelta 2 bib tights are not windproof, but they are certainly warm and on cold but sunny days provide all the protection necessary, such as it was needed today.

The Axiom windproof bib tights have wind proof panels at the front, making them slightly warmer. I will certainly use those on my commute to/from work since the sun is down and I need extra warmth.

As mentioned, the 2nd skin long sleeve base layer provides extra warmth without bulk: it is very thin but finely weaved, and it is similar in feel to the Adidas Tech-Fit line, of which I have a short sleeve summer top. The Sportful 2nd skin layer provides extra warmth though and also dries slightly quicker; in addition, it has a cycling specific cut covering most of the back.

The merino socks are great: slightly thicker than the other Sportful Meryl fabric socks, they are also much warmer, and although not windproof, they are excellent for the daily commute.

The last item I would recommend for Winter from the Sportful range is the Sportful WindStopper helmet liner.
Thinner than most caps, it sits snug on your head, wrapping your ears fully, yet without adding any bulk on top; I don't need to remove the pads from my helmet when wearing this cap, and the fit is very similar, meaning I can simply remove or put the cap on mid-ride without having to fiddle with the helmet adjustement straps.

I own a pair of Specialized Deflect windproof gloves, which although suitable for spring, struggle in colder late autumn/winter weather.
The Sportful liner gloves fit very close to the skin, and provide the additional warmth required when the temperatures drop below 8C. Yet they allow you to wear thinner gloves which give added sensitivity and control.
My palm measuring 9 inches, I purchased both sizes and decided to keep the larger (2). The smaller size (1) fitted ok but was a bit tight and I was concerned that might have restricted blood circulation and provided less protection from the cold.
The left hand liner comes with a Sportful logo to make it easier to recognise in the dark, for example if you need to put them on half way on a late night commute.
I wore them on my commute this morning (just under an hour at 4C) and they performed very well, keeping my hands warm but not sweaty.

1 comment: